Posted - 29 Oct 2005 : 18:28:47
- A lot of people attack the sea, I make love to it.
- Buoyed by water, he can fly in any direction-up, down, sideways-by merely flipping his hand. Under water, man becomes an archangel.
- Farming as we do it is hunting, and in the sea we act like barbarians.
- From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
- However fragmented the world, however intense the national rivalries, it is an inexorable fact that we become more interdependent every day.
- I am not a scientist. I am, rather, an impresario of scientists.
- I believe that national sovereignties will shrink in the face of universal interdependence.
- If we go on the way we have, the fault is our greed and if we are not willing to change, we will disappear from the face of the globe, to be replaced by the insect.
- If we were logical, the future would be bleak indeed. But we are more than logical. We are human beings, and we have faith, and we have hope.
- If we were logical, the future would be bleak, indeed. But we are more than logical. We are human beings, and we have faith, and we have hope, and we can work.
- In order to stabilize world population, we must eliminate 350,000 per day.
- It is certain that the study of human psychology, if it were undertaken exclusively in prisons, would also lead to misrepresentation and absurd generalizations.
- It takes generosity to discover the whole through others. If you realize you are only a violin, you can open yourself up to the world by playing your role in the concert.
- Man, of all the animals, is probably the only one to regard himself as a great delicacy.
- Mankind has probably done more damage to the Earth in the 20th century than in all of previous human history.
- No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
- No sooner does man discover intelligence than he tries to involve it in his own stupidity.
- People protect what they love.
- The awareness of our environment came progressively in all countries with different outlets.
- The biggest obstacle was mixing abortion with overpopulation. These are two things that have nothing to do with each other.
- The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
- The real cure for our environmental problems is to understand that our job is to salvage Mother Nature. We are facing a formidable enemy in this field. It is the hunters... and to convince them to leave their guns on the wall is going to be very difficult.
- The road to the future leads us smack into the wall. We simply ricochet off the alternatives that destiny offers. Our survival is no more than a question of 25, 50 or perhaps 100 years.
- The sea is the universal sewer.
- The sea, once it casts its spell, holds on in its net of wonder forever.
- The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat.
- To yackety-yak about the past is for me time lost. Every morning I wake up saying, 'I'm still alive - a miracle.' And so I keep on pushing.
- When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself.
[*]Water and air, the two essential fluids on which all life depends, have become global garbage cans.
[*]We forget that the water cycle and the life cycle are one.
Jacques Yves Cousteau